What are Ben Wa balls?
Geisha Balls (also known as Ben Wa balls, Loveballs and Kegel balls) are small marble sized balls that are inserted vaginally to strengthen the pelvic floor. While Geisha balls don’t necessarily lead to an orgasm they stimulate and a stronger pelvic floor increases the intensity of sexual intercourse. The balls come in different sizes, and it's a good idea to start with the smaller ones and work your way up.
Material & function of Ben Wa balls
Traditionally Geisha balls were three balls that were connected and made out of metal and mercury. Modern love balls are normally two 3-4cm wide balls made out of metal, plastic, and glass. Some of the balls are hollow and weighted with smaller metal balls inside. Once inserted the metal balls will move, causing your vaginal muscles to tighten due to the sensation. There are also Geisha balls that are solid and normally heavier than the weighted version. These have to be kept inside by tightening the muscles, which also trains the pelvic floor.
Benefits of Kegel balls
- increase sexual sensitivity and highly improved orgasms (for her)
- more intense stimulation of the penis during intercourse (for him)
- recovery after child birth
- prevent bladder weakness through strengthening the muscles to stop or hold the flow of urine
Sizes of loveballs
Loveballs are normally 3-4cm wide and are comfortable to wear for all women. Some love balls come with different weights that can be mixed and matched according to the individual requirements.
As a rule of thumb women who have given birth or are older than 30 years should use two balls, while younger women should start with an individual ball. But as with all things it depends on the individual. If in doubt start with one lighter ball and increase the quantity and weight as your pelvic floor muscles get “fitter”.
How to use Geisha balls
Remember to wash the kegel balls with soap and water before and after usage and apply a little bit of water-based lubricant to make insertion easier.
Use it as training tool: With this training tool you are not confined to a specific space! Have a look at our Pelvic Floor Boot camp to get some tips for pelvic floor exercises.
Use it as sex toy: Wear during intercourse or while using a vibrator to increase the pleasure for all parties involved.
Top 5 Ben Wa balls
- Lelo - Luna Beads ($69.95): The best seller offers the possibility of easily mixing and matching weights to build strength over time. Each set includes two 28g and two 37g beads which can be combined in the silicone harness for a more tailored routine. (Weighted)
- Je Joue - Ami ($74.95): 3 different sizes to train with. Start small (47g) and work your way up (106g). All coated with smooth to touch silicone .. training has never been this much fun! (Weighted)
- Tickler - Trainer Toyfriend Single ($19.95): A great starter size kegel-exerciser and pelvic muscle toner with 32g all coated in smooth silicone. (Solid)
- NS Novelties - Crystal Premium Glass Eggs ($24.95): Made from hand-blown, premium Borosilicate glass these balls are hygenic, hypoallergenic and very easy to clean. In addition the eggs can be heated/cooled to personal taste before insertion. (Solid)
- Adrien Lastic - Pelvix Concept ($69.95): Developed by gynecologists this single medical grade silicone toner ball can be adjusted with a combination of different mini weights to suit the individual fitness. (Solid)